Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Roadside Wildflowers

Life in Christian County, Kentucky... More About Trees and Plants...



RudbeckiaRudbeckia hirta


I don't know which of the 20+ native varieties of rudbeckia hirta these flowers are, but they are a member of the species.

They are called black-eyed susans locally. Oxeye daisy is supposed to be another common name, but I have never heard them called that.

These yellow beauties are growing in the ditch at the summit of a high, dry rocky hill. The summit is broad and somewhat flat and the ditch doesn't drain well. Just enough moisture has gathered there to support a profusion of gorgeous black-eyed susans this year.

Several years ago, I grew from seed a border of gloriosa daisies, a cultivar of rudbeckia hirta, in my vegetable garden. They seeded themselves very well, and I had them for several years, but they've died out now. I was working full-time then, and I think I probably hoed out their seedlings when the weeds were getting away from me in the spring. It takes time to selectively weed and I didn't have it.

I should plant them again. I enjoy their bright, cheerful blooms. They make a emphatic yellow statement in the garden and also as a cut flower.


RudbeckiaRudbeckia hirta


Technorati tags:






No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTENTMENT: Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, sing often, pray always, forget self, think of others and their feelings, fill your heart with love, scatter sunshine. These are the tried links in the golden chain of contentment.
(Author unknown)

IT IS STILL BEST to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasure; and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
(Laura Ingalls Wilder, 1867-1957)

Thanks for reading.