Monday, August 04, 2008

Wind Turbines at Ainsworth, Nebraska

Wind power expanding



Carolyn Hall of Bassett, Nebraska, e-mailed the following link today. It's a New York Times article about wind turbines that have been installed south of Ainsworth, Nebraska.



My connection to this story is that Jered Saar, one of the technicians mentioned in the story, is a distant cousin of mine. Jered's grandmother, Maxine Saar, and my mother, Doris Hill, were first cousins. About fifty years ago (ugh), Jered's dad, Gary Saar, and I were in the same grade at Duff Valley District 4, a one-room school in southern Rock County, Nebraska.

Also, Ainsworth, Nebraska, the county seat of Brown County, is my birthplace. Brown County is the next county west of Rock County, where I grew up.

Apparently the wind turbines break down quite often. Several years ago, I happened to drive by the two wind turbines at Springview (also mentioned in the article), and one of them was not working. PTG of Plains Feeder has strong opinions about the impracticality and unsustainability of wind farms, after observing them in action. Meanwhile, I'm glad that Jered has a good steady job.

UPDATE:  A few more comments from PT about wind power in Iowa

2 comments:

Marathon Pundit said...

I've been to Ainsworth. Nice little town. If I'm not mistaken, the historical museum is next to an old Sunoco gas station.

Genevieve Netz said...

You've probably been to Ainsworth more recently than I have, John. The last time I was there was about ten years ago. We stopped there for a couple of hours to visit my great aunt, Goldie Davis, as we were driving from Gordon to Bassett, and on to Chambers. It was rather surreal to drive through town and see many, very familiar places but not stop at any of them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTENTMENT: Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, sing often, pray always, forget self, think of others and their feelings, fill your heart with love, scatter sunshine. These are the tried links in the golden chain of contentment.
(Author unknown)

IT IS STILL BEST to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasure; and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
(Laura Ingalls Wilder, 1867-1957)

Thanks for reading.